Wednesday 20 February 2013

Steroids - Day 1

You make friends fast in the infusion room.

We all sat in hospital-grade recliners, covered in warm blankets.  IVs in one arm, blood pressure cuffs on the other.  We shared the intimate details of our illnesses - our symptoms, our meds, and we talked about our lives - pre and post diagnosis.  It was an amazingly cathartic 2 hours.

Now I wait for the prednisone to work. 

My mouth tastes like I've been sucking on a mouthful of pennies and my heart is racing.

I am mostly anticipating the moment I turn into a doped-up East German athlete ready to fight to the death.  (that's my favourite steroid joke).

My kids better not knock the IV lock out of my arm.

Yes, there were tears, yes I am scared... but I am telling myself - just keep fighting, just keep fighting...

1000 mg down, 2000 mg to go.  See you tomorrow, beautiful infusion-room view.

1 comment: