Friday 17 May 2013

This is how we do it...


Relapse, that is.

It does get easier.  If I am learning anything, that's it.

I am going on 11 days now, and can't say I am physically feeling better.

Definitely not normal.

I don't think the prednisone worked it's illustrious powers, and I don't think the relapse is done.  But, my soupy withdrawal-brain is slowly recovering.  I can finish a sentence again.  And stand fairly steadily.

Mentally however, I have done a full arc of emotion.  It's a daily adventure of what to expect.

Yesterday I was angry.  Irritated and annoyed.  Today I feel okay.  Not terrified, confused, or sad.

I spent the day with my baby and I revelled in the things he is doing.  I marvel at his new learning, his words (He has a slight speech delay, so this is huge), and his hard-earned thought processes.

This boy is working hard, and that makes me so proud.  That look of achievement on his face is a most rewarding moment of Motherhood.

----

I'd also like to discuss a common misconception about MS.

And that's the correlation of age-at-diagnosis and severity of the disease.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of "Oh, you were diagnosed young, so that's better."

Not true.

Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20-50.

And yes, individuals who are diagnosed over the age of 50 are statistically more likely to progress to progressive MS faster.

However, an earlier diagnosis mostly means that the disease has more time to actively destroy CNS tissue, thus likely increasing disability. 

But mostly, this disease takes such an individualized pattern that it is impossible to predict the severity of its course or nature of its symptoms.  And it's unfair to make comments that make any form, version, or variant "better" or "worse."


No comments:

Post a Comment