Wednesday 24 April 2013

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee

I did it.

My first shot of Copaxone. 

Jon and I both were trained for manual and auto-ject methods, practiced with saline syringes, then I did the real injection on my thigh.  I have to use 7 different injection sites on my body, and rotate through them, in order to prevent permanent damage to my skin.  Watching Jon's "dart-playing hands" made me very worried for the backs of my arms.

The shot itself?

It feels like you are being stung by a mob of angry bees.  Then the stinging radiates out, then the redness spreads and a huge welt appears. 

An hour later it still stings, and the welt is growing.

I suppose the skin reactions are better then the quasi-heart-attack though.

So, I muster on - somewhat reluctantly. 

Thank goodness the children brought wine when they returned (thanks Mom and Erin).

Repeat tomorrow.

----

Sometimes I feel like I have aged 10 years in the past 6 months. 

I look in the cabinet that has been consumed by my medications and concoctions.  Every single day I take 3 prescription pills,  6 supplements, and an injection.  I am pretty sure I take more medication than all of my Grandparents combined.  That makes me feel old.

----

I have to admit, I am a little scared to do my injection again tomorrow night.  And I know that spending the entire day thinking about that will potentially make it a whole lot worse.

Thank god for therapy-Thursday.  And the wine I am about to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment