Tuesday 16 April 2013

Parenting

Why is parenting with a chronic illness just a little bit harder?

Let me just say I will never be president of the PTA. 

I will never make 300 cupcakes for my kid's birthday party or for a school bake sale.

Mostly, it's exhaustion, but there is also this niggling sense of mental incapability that can become consuming.  Consuming simply because having a life-long disease becomes a chore. 

It's hard to not put your kids first.  Sometimes you have to say no to that party invitation, cross your fingers you don't become no-fun-mom, and move on.

It's frustrating when your kids don't understand.  I know it's important to explain MS to them in terms they understand.  And at a level appropriate for their ages.  But how does that work?  I actually heard myself once saying to Jack "Mommy's brain just can't do that right now."  To a 5 year old, what exactly does that mean?

There is never a quiet moment.  My boys are my life, but I tell you, they are the loudest and busiest creatures I have ever encountered.

There is more guilt.  Yes, more guilt than regular Mom-guilt.  And wife-guilt.  You do fewer baths, fewer bedtimes, you usually don't go to the park after 4pm.

And I know that one day, most likely, they may resent my health issues.  They may be embarrassed, frustrated or disappointed.

But it's okay.  I know they don't care who makes the cupcakes.  They don't care if Mommy has no make-up on today.

I can only hope that what they go through now, with this, helps turn them into sensitive, caring, empathetic men who value life, love, and family.

This makes me laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment